FIT Academy: A Free Public Charter School
The purpose of FIT Academy is to prepare the whole student for life. We believe our school empowers students to live fulfilling, responsible, and successful lives by purposefully integrating mental, physical, and emotional development. Our FIT acronym represents these as Fitness, Intellect, and Teamwork. These three areas make up the FIT acronym and this purposeful integration results in an impact on student development that is far greater than the sum of each individual developmental area.
Founder & Superintendent
Ph. (952) 847-3798
Dear Prospective Families,
Welcome to FIT Academy where we believe children need a foundation of health and fitness in order to achieve academic excellence! We embrace what science tells us–children need to be more active!
Our students experience this through regular classroom brain breaks & recess, daily physical education & fitness classes, and weekly field trips for an extended period of PE at a local sports complex. This foundation supports a traditional approach to academic development focused on core knowledge and rigor. For more information on the science supporting more physical activity to support intellectual development please read the following articles!
FIT Academy opened in the Fall of 2017 as a K-8 school serving approximately 180 students following five years of research, planning, and development including collaboration from numerous leaders in the areas of education, child development, and health and fitness.
As a charter school, FIT Academy must comply with all state and federal laws related to public education. What differentiates us is our mission and our small and united school community. FIT Academy is its own public school district and has its own independent school board. Our success has resulted in rapid growth, and we now serve over 400 students in grades K-12! Our school is close to having reached its enrollment capacity, and we are seeking to expand our facility to accommodate this growth and better serve our high school-aged students.
What makes FIT Academy unique?
- Purposeful integration of the mental, physical, and emotional needs of students
- School-wide commitment and engagement with our mission
- Classroom focus on academic achievement and rigor
- Comprehensive health & physical education curriculum
- “Brain breaks” and physical activation throughout the day
- Monthly focus on a new character trait to help students develop emotional intelligence
- Engagement with parents, families, and the greater community
Why does FIT Academy believe in this approach?
Research shows that students involved in regular exercise and sports:
- Perform better than the average student in school
- Are more likely to pursue higher education
- Are more confident and resilient in the face of adversity
- Are less prone to depression and lifelong health issues
- Are less prone to risky behaviors or self-defeating behaviors